Are pesky mosquitoes making you a part of their main course this summer? Whether in the comfort of your home or while traveling abroad, it’s important to protect yourself from mosquito bites not only because they cause itchy and annoying hives but, because they pose a major risk to your health.
It may be impossible to completely avoid mosquitoes but that doesn’t mean they have to ruin your summer or threaten your health. There are easy steps you can take to protect yourself by controlling or completely eliminating the mosquito population.
Mosquito Control Tips
Mosquitoes breed and spawn in standing water so eliminating these habitats is your first offense against bites from mosquitoes. Here are a few tips:
- Drain water from garbage cans, gutters, coolers, toys or any other containers where stagnant water can collect
- Change water in bird baths or flower pots at least twice per week
- Keep grass short and trim shrubs to eliminate hiding places for adult mosquitoes
- Fill in hollow tree stumps and holes with sand or concrete to prevent water collection
- Cover swimming pools or hot tubs when not in use and be sure to keep them properly chlorinated
Mosquito Bite Prevention Tips
If you’ve done your part to prevent breeding and still find mosquitoes around or are in an environment you can’t control, here are a few tips that can help you prevent mosquito bites:
- Apply DEET containing mosquito repellent to bare skin and clothing, following directions carefully
- If possible, cover bare skin as much as possible with long pants, long sleeves, socks, and covered shoes
- When indoors, make sure to keep doors and windows without screens closed to keep mosquitoes out
AFC Urgent Care Urgent Care Stamford has board-certified physicians on staff to provide relief from mosquito bites, insect stings, and other forms of skin irritation – no appointment necessary. Most insurance plans are accepted at our urgent care center and deeply discounted rates are available for our uninsured patients. For more information on how you can get instant relief for your skin irritation, call us at 203.969.2000.