Spring has sprung, and telltale sniffles are beginning to fill the air. For some people, this beautiful season is nothing but misery, due to the constant sneezing, congestion, itchy eyes and countless other exhausting symptoms. Seasonal allergies affect as many as 50 million Americans, and it’s not just a mild annoyance. As many as 55 percent of workers report calling in sick at work because of allergies. There are many ways to avoid the scourge of pollen, dust, mold and pet hair. Read on for tips on how to beat your spring allergies!
- Stay indoors. This should come as no surprise, but if your allergy triggers primarily are outside, like pollen, your allergic reactions will be stronger the more you’re outside. This doesn’t have to mean encasing yourself in a plastic bubble every time you leave your home, but limiting your time around your triggers should help lighten your symptoms.
- Shower before bed. A shower at the end of the day will remove all the grime and allergens that have hitched a ride on your skin and keep you from having to spend a sleepless night with them. This will go a long way to lessening your exposure to the things that are irritating your body and causing an allergic response. The steam will also help soothe and clear your sinuses.
- Try irrigating your sinuses. This might help if congestion is one of your biggest spring complaints. Tools like neti pots use lukewarm salt water to gently wash out allergens and mucus. Just be sure to use water that has been purified or boiled — not just water from the tap — to prevent infections!
- Put up barriers. Things like sunglasses, light clothing and hats can keep allergens from directly touching your skin and eyes. At least while your allergies are at their worst, it helps to keep covered as much as you can.
- Try over-the-counter remedies. Eye drops, oral antihistamines and decongestants could help if these strategies don’t fully alleviate your symptoms. These medications are typically fast-acting, and most are non-drowsy. They can help you get back to normal so you can actually enjoy the spring weather!
Allergies are no longer something that people just have to suffer through. If none of these solutions works for you, doctors at your local AFC/ can help you find something that will work better for your symptoms. You can end your seasonal suffering, so take action today!