If you’ve ever been sick with the flu, you know how miserable it can be.
The best way to prevent getting sick with the flu is to get your annual flu shot. Yet every year, there are people who forgo their flu shot. A number of misconceptions about the flu have spread throughout the years, making people skeptical about getting vaccinated.
Here are five myths about the seasonal flu shot debunked:
- The flu shot can give you the flu: The flu shot is made from an inactivated virus that can’t transmit infection, which means you won’t get the flu from getting vaccinated.
- You don’t need a flu shot every year: Last year’s vaccination may not necessarily protect you this year’s flu season. New strands of influenza occur every year, making it imperative to get your flu shot annually.
- Healthy people don’t need to be vaccinated: Even the healthiest of people can get the flu. Even if you are in tip-top shape, getting your seasonal flu shot can help prevent the spread to those susceptible to getting the virus.
- The flu is just a bad cold: The flu and a cold have similar symptoms such as a cough, sore throat, fatigue, and dehydration. The difference between having a cold versus the flu is that having the flu will have you feeling miserable for up to weeks at a time and can even result in hospitalization.
- You can only get the flu from being out in the cold: While being exposed to the cold may get you sick if you’re not wearing protective clothing, but the only way you can get the flu is by actually being exposed to the virus.
Don’t let the flu scare you! Stop by AFC Urgent Care Stamford to get your seasonal flu shot! We offer them on a walk-in basis, so you’ll never need an appointment to be seen. For more information, please call us at 203-969-2000, or stop by today!