Allergies be worse than usual this year in Stamford and the rest of the northeast.
The thinking, according to our providers, is that it is because of this years’ harsh winter and massive amounts of snow. Those with seasonal allergies are now paying the price.
As the last of the snow melted, later into the spring than most years, an excessive amount of moisture has been in the air, leading to increased counts of mold and mold spores. Mold is a big allergic irritant, and so this year even people who aren’t normally allergic could experience seasonal allergy symptoms.
There are steps you can take to prevent excessive allergy misery.
Control your environment to the best of your ability. Steps you can take:
- Avoid substances you’re allergic to, called allergens. If you’re allergic to pollen, for instance, avoid going outside on days when the pollen count is high
- Keep the air conditioner on to filter the air
- Take frequent showers if the pollen count is high, especially after returning from outside
- When driving, keep the air conditioner on to filter the air
- After gardening or playing out in the yard, remove clothes upon re-entering your house and put directly into washing machine, not in a hamper
Of course if all else fails, our fall back is always treating allergies with over the counter medications such as Zyrtec or Nasonex nasal sprays, or Clariton, Benadryl or Allegra, orally. If allergies are hampering your every day ability to function there are also steroidal medicines that we can prescribe.
If you are not sure if you are suffering from a cold or from seasonal allergies, come in to AFC Urgent Care for an evaluation.